Creating a native mobile application is a costly and time-consuming process. Often, many SMBs don’t have the budget to build an app for both the Android and iOS operating systems.
If you’re being forced to pick between Android and iOS as target OS’s for your app, you have a difficult decision to make. Here are top factors to consider that will help you pick the best platform between the two:
Cost of Development
- Research tells us that developing apps for iOS is much cheaper than Android. There are many reasons for that, including the fact that the iOS IDE (integrated development environment) is very easy to use and lets you churn out quality products quickly.
- Android’s IDE is less optimized and developers often to have to make their apps compatible with very old OS versions and multiple smartphones, which increases costs.
Availability of Developer Talent
- Because Android development is difficult and time-consuming, many development companies opt out of developing for the platform altogether.
- Consequently, you may not be able to find developers for your app that have the experience you require, especially in your niche.
- Android users are concentrated in Asia, Africa, and South America. Developed countries like America and European nations prefer to use Apple’s smartphones instead.
- If your organisation or target demographic is based in a developed country, you may be better off with building an iOS app.
- If you’re trying to go global or just find more customers (Android has a market share of 70%), you will be better off with building an Android app.
Paid vs Free Product
- About twice as many apps are downloaded from the Google Play Store as compared to Apple’s store. However, Google developers only make approximately half as much money from their products as compared to iOS developers.
- If you want to make money from your application, it usually makes better sense to target Apple’s iOS platform.
Still having trouble deciding on which platform you should choose? An able mobile app development company – with industry experience – will be able to help you make an informed decision if you consult with them.